Illinois Valley Community College trustees approved an $11.6 million tax levy during Thursday night’s board meeting in a 5-1 vote.
The tax levy is a 2.5 percent increase from the fiscal year 2015 tax extension and will maximize education and operations and maintenance funds.
David Mallery was the sole trustee in opposition of the tax levy. He said he believes it takes too much from the taxpayers, nearing the maximum the college is authorized to levy.
“Here’s a case where we’re going to take another quarter of a million dollars more than we did last year from the taxpayers,” Mallery said.
Trustee Everett Solon said he did not disagree with Mallery’s thoughts but asked where the college would be able to find the funding for programs to increase hours and attendance.
Mallery said cutting half of the athletics program is one example. Other trustees said they believed a cut in athletics would negatively affect attendance. Mallery said that was one example among many other cuts the college could consider as alternative ways to acquire necessary money for programs.
In other business, the trustees approved:
- The appointment of Jody Lowe as nursing instructor, effective Jan. 10, to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of Samantha Whiteaker. Lowe worked previously as a clinical educator at OSF Health Care for the Rockford and Interstate 80 region and part-time instructor at Kishwaukee College. Lowe has a Bachelor of Science in nursing and a master’s degree in nursing education from Northern Illinois University.
- Authorization of contributions to employee health savings plans and health reimbursement accounts beginning Jan. 1. Annual contributions for the health savings account are $2,500 for an individual and $5,000 for an employee plus one and families.
- Emergency repairs of $46,759.75 in buildings D and E following a water main break in the lower level of building E on Nov. 14. John’s Service and Sales Inc. was paid $23,259.75 to repair the water line so water service could be restored. H & H Builders Inc. was paid $23,500 to repair concrete and remove water-soaked drywall.
- Board meeting dates for 2017 on Jan. 12, Feb. 9, March 9, April 13, May 11, June 8, July 13, Aug. 17, Sept. 14, Oct. 12, Nov. 9 and Dec. 14.
The board also learned:
- Tina Rink, nursing instructor, will submit an application for retirement on Dec. 17.
- Ralph Wesselmann, part-time truck driver training specialist, retired Nov. 28.
- G4S Secure Solutions requested to create an assistant supervisor position. An existing employee would take the title with $1 more in wages. The rate billed to IVCC would increase $1.52 per hour, and the supervisor would act as the lead security officer on the shift while also helping train new and current officers.
- The Support Staff Craft Fair fundraiser raised $1,398 for local animal shelters.